Diabetes and Pregnancy Doula Course
Friday, February 8, 2019
While doulas are not a medical professionals, and are not allowed to provide medical care or advice, it helps to have a basic knowledge of various medical diagnoses.
Our Diabetes and Pregnancy Doula Course curriculum is developed by experienced doula, mother, and type 1 diabetes expert, Karina Robinson. She has created a comprehensive, evidence-based course that is designed to provide doulas with information to guide them in better understanding and supporting clients with diabetes. This course will help you to more effectively support, and prepare your diabetic clients in their birth journey. You will be better equipped to assist them in understanding their options with diabetes and help them to plan for a safe and satisfying birth.
This course includes:
- What makes a client with diabetes different?
- Distinguishing between the different types of diabetes
- Treatments for each type of diabetes
- Preparing to conceive – What clients need to know
- Essential diabetes statistics & facts
- Complications and how to avoid them
- Options with diabetes
- Red flags for providers and birthplaces
- Safely avoiding cesareans
- Cesareans with diabetes
- Postpartum – what to expect and how to help
- Access to resources and support on our Facebook group.
- Course manual + 32 page insert on Gestational Diabetes
- Published on our Diabetes Trained Doulas page
Requirements to be listed on the Diabetes Trained Doulas Page:
- Attend the Diabetes and Pregnancy Doula Course
- Reading – One of the following books:
- Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-Existing Diabetes: Healthy Mom, Healthy Baby by Cheryl Alkon
- Pregnancy with Type 1 Diabetes: Your Month-to-Month Guide to Blood Sugar Management by Ginger Vieira and Jennifer Smith CDE
- Pass Reading Comprehension Exam
- Attend and support 2 births with a diabetic client as a doula
- Reflect and fill out a birth log for each client
You must be a trained doula in order to attend this continuing education training. This is NOT a doula training. We focus exclusively on information needed to support your clients who have diabetes.
Course fees are $150 and required to reserve your spot. You can also pay via Venmo @DoulaKarina
One reservation per person.
Seating is limited and spots fill up quickly.
Cancellation is required at least 24 hours in advance.